Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Day Seven - Elwynn Forest

I had to check with McBride the next morning to make sure I'd heard him correctly. Dismissed? The hard part was trying to keep my identity somewhat secretly, but my big concern was where do I go from here? I don't know the city, I don't know the laws. And if the hearsay has any truth to it, it sounds like venturing outside encampments is risky as hell.

I wish I had made some friends here. You'd think I would have -- battles and hard times make the closest of friends. But no. Barely a soul was willing to communicate me. Is it something about priests I don't know? Mages? No one would chat with me. And I tried. I really tried. I tried talking to people, starting conversations. Nope, nothing. Looks like I'm just going to walk out there and get killed by a tree with an axe or something.

Course, what I said to McBride was something like "Is there anything I can do for you when I'm out there?" I don't even know where "out there" is. I don't even know the name of it. But he said, yes, he did. In fact, he said that, since I had shown an interest in the security of Northshire, I was now "tasked with the protection of the surrounding Elwynn Forest" (at least I know the name of "out there" now).

I'm not sure where I showed an interest in security. But maybe it showed up in my attention to duty. Why is it I spent so long in academy trying to prove that to people, but here it takes a day? Anyway he gave me some papers to take to Marshal Dughan in Goldshire. And thankfully, he gave me some directions and a nice map of the region.

I packed up my meager belongings and headed out. Before I left I met a man near the fountain who gave me some advice on where to stay. He recommended the Lion's Pride Inn, so I'll probably make that my next target. So into the forest I go!

This was my first chance to try out my wand. I had shot it at trees and bushes a few times. It made some impressive sparkles, but not much else. Maybe its magic was filtered, only effective on live targets (I should put quotes around "live").

Then a forest spider wandered past, and I'm pretty sure giant tarantulas are fair game in any world. Man, that wand is useless. It's fast, but it does less damage than a paper cut, and it doesn't seem to enhance my magic power. After I found myself hurt badly by a freaking spider, I simply switched back to a staff.


I sat on the side of the road and applied some first aid. No one came by, so I decided to open the documents from McBride. There was no wax seal, and I figured I deserved it for the bupkiss I got from serving them as a recruit. All it said was "the activity of kobolds has decreased in Northshire Valley, thanks to the orcs". So what the hell is a kobold?

--Caden Watkins

No comments:

Post a Comment